a luxurious place for adventure and recharging, any season of the year
Sleeping Lady Mountain Resort, Leavenworth, WA
Tim had an international-based engagement for much of the fall, so our family planned an epic snowy new year's respite to enjoy together once he returned. Planning ahead, we made reservations for Sleeping Lady Mountain Resort in September. It is now high on our list of favorite places.
Families and groups but probably not anyone who has a mobility issues in the snow.
Upon arrival, we were immediately enthralled with this sprawling understated luxurious resort. The layout gives you no choice but to experience the outdoor surroundings first-hand as you walk between your room and the restaurant, bar, hot and cool pools, sauna, spa, play barn, library, organic garden, volleyball court, and amphitheater, The room configurations are small, but feature plenty of hooks for hanging up gear and are sized to sleep 2-8 people. Many of the room packages include a delicious breakfast and dinner that are served buffet style in the Kingfisher Restaurant. Be sure to make dinner reservations in advance.
The play barn is a stand alone cabin that features ping pong and a pool table, foosball and a stage with costumes for the creation of skits. I recommend packing beverages and snacks to take into the barn so you can hang out for a while. Nearby, is The Grotto Bar where parents (and kids from 5-8 pm) can hang out while the kids are playing games. The Grotto was a favorite spot because of the friendly & talented bartender, cozy space and outdoor firepit. They serve craft cocktails, local beer and wine, pizzas and salads.
Delicious barbeque and vegetarian lunches can be had at O'Grady's Restaurant, next to the Mercantile Store where you can find local keepsakes and basic items you might have left at home, as well as wine to take back to your room. Alternatively, you could head into the town of Leavenworth for lunch (see recommendations below).
For those interested in cross-country skiing or snowshoeing, this resort is perfectly equipped and situated. Equipment for adults and kids can be rented at the Mercantile Store. Trail passes can be bought across the driveway at the entrance to 5 miles of groomed trails that run through Icicle River and 2 miles of snowshoeing trails. There are pit toilets near the ticket booth. For adventurous kids, this is a really fun activity. Bella and Clementine skied with glee and it was only their 4th time on xc skis. If you are up for an mystical adventure consider wearing headlamps while skiing along Icicle River in the dark. Downhill ski lovers and snowboarders can drive 45 minutes West to Stevens Pass Ski Resort.
Perhaps the favorite activity for our family, while staying at Sleeping Lady, was the natural rock-lined hot pool that is built into the hillside. Make sure you wear good boots to stay upright on the icy paths!
For those looking to pair performing art with the dreamy outdoors, check the schedule for upcoming shows at the beautiful Icicle Creek Center for the Arts, located on the resort grounds. There are also fun classes and kid summer camps you can schedule during your stay.
Bonus: The lodge has dog-friendly rooms.
IF YOU GO
- ABILITY TO UNPLUG RATING: Medium. The cell coverage is spotty throughout the resort, but WIFI is fairly reliable. We brought walkie talkies to stay in touch with the kids at the resort while we cross country skied across the street.
- Look for a white 3-ring binder in the office lounge area. It has lists of staff favorites for local activities. Consider river rafting in the summer and snow play in the winter. Wine tasting rooms, hiking, horseback riding and sleigh rides are fun nearby activities.
- The staff's top 5 favorite restaurants in Leavenworth are: Munchen Haus (which is our family's favorite sausage house), South, farm-to-table Watershed Cafe, Gustav's and Sulla Vita.
- If your group consists only of adults, head to Kristall's Lounge in town, where you can hang out in a festive bar with a beautiful view. If you are lucky and have a big group, try and snag the large couch area near the fireplace. They have multiple tvs for watching games. It's primo!
- If you decide to visit Sleeping Lady Resort, please come back to this page and share your impressions.